1) Here is the final route: [http://goo.gl/maps/vot52] We’ll ride for just about 10 miles, with a mystery pit-stop and ending at Hawk n’ Dove on Capitol Hill. City Bikes is generously providing bike parking for DCBP participants in Seward Square, so no need to do the bike party parking scramble once we arrive!
2) PLEASE BE ON TIME. Meet time is 7:30pm at the DuPont Circle fountain. We leave at exactly 8pm so if you need to fix a flat, fill up your water bottle, find your friends, etc—please do so ahead of time.
3) STAY TOGETHER. The leaders are the people in the yellow D.C. Bike Party shirts. We will have several ride leaders with flags on their bikes, giant bike speakers, and a pedicab at the front of the pack. They will be stopping at all red and yellow lights to make sure our group stays together and stays safe. There will also be several ride marshals dispersed throughout the group. They will be reminding you to stay in one lane and making sure that everyone is having a good time.
4) CHILL. This IS NOT critical mass. This IS NOT an alleycat race, this IS NOT meant to be anything but fun for EVERYONE. Some of you love to ride fast, some of you don’t. D.C. Bike Party is a slow, cruising ride and it’s meant for riders of ALL levels. We ask that those of you who love to ride fast do NOT try to lead the pack. The route takes us a long time to put together and when people who don’t know it get up front, you inevitably end up taking the ENTIRE bike party in the wrong direction, or way too fast. Uncool.
5) RESPECT. DC Bike Party is meant to be a fun, community building activity. We’re not doing this to upset cars or pedestrians, but when a huge group is taking up a lane of traffic, tempers tend to flare. If a driver or pedestrian gets upset, please say something like “Hi, this is just going to take a couple minutes. Thank you for being patient. We’re really sorry if this is inconveniencing you.” There is nothing gained by starting a conflict.
5) HELP EACHOTHER. Protect your fellow rider. If you see a pothole, train tracks, or anything else you think might be an issue, shout it out! It’ll create a human telephone chain all through the Bike Party and keep everyone safe.
6) GET INTO IT! The Undercover ride is meant to be a clandestine cruise ride through our fair city. Dress in black and white, wear your sunglasses at night and throw on a fedora.
7) Be safe. Show respect. Have fun. BIKE PARTY.